The History of Our Beaver
March 3, 2017
Dave was searching on the internet and came across this great website, DHC-2.com, which had some history on our Beaver! Did you know our Beaver was in the US Army? The plane “enlisted” in 1952 and worked over in Germany for years. It “retired” to Sweden and brought anglers to a beautiful fishing camp in the mountains. In 1990, Dave and I bought the Beaver and it’s been happy in Canada ever since!
Here’s a timeline on the life of our Beaver:
- Delivered to US Army 06-Jun-1952. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.
Used as a utility aircraft.
- For sale @ Coleman Barracks, Mannheim – Sandhofen, Germany, Seen 28-Aug-1972.
(US military airfield)
Total time: 4,872hrs.
- Turistflyg I Arjeplog AB., Arjeplog, Sweden. Regd 27-Aug-1985.
Air Tourism in Arjeplog
Floats added. Used to bring anglers to a fishing camp deep in Sweden’s mountains.
- Owned by Handelsbanken Finans AB. (A bank.) Operated by Heli AB., Linköping, Sweden. Regd 13-Jul-1988. Canx 08-Aug-1989 on export to USA.
- Wipaire Inc., MN. Regd 26-Sep-1989. Canx 28-Mar-1990 on export to Canada.
Made updates and put the Beaver up for sale.
- Nestor Falls Fly-In Outposts Ltd., Nestor Falls, ON. Regd 30-Mar-1990. (Home, sweet home!)
We sure love fish, but we’re also plane enthusiasts. Our planes are just as special as our outposts, and it’s so great to be able to get a glimpse into our Beaver’s past overseas. We’re glad it’s here to stay!
Escape to the Wilderness,
Dave & Michelle